SharePoint as a Data Source for Modern Reporting
- Published: 16 September 2019
How does your business create data reports? Which tools do you use?
Office 365’s integration with SharePoint offers a modern way to capture, document and report on your business’ findings.
There are three types of data sources that you can use in a SharePoint environment including;
- Power Query – extract content from SharePoint lists and cache it into a tabular data model.
- Report Builder –build paginated reports using services such as Power BI and Excel.
- SQL Server Integration Service - an on-premise enterprise ETL platform.
Types of Reporting
- For business intelligence
- Visualization and reporting
- Self-service reporting
- Enterprise reporting
- Application performance
- Financial reporting
Power BI’s integration with SharePoint allows employers and employees to visualize data to create engaging and compelling reports.
Benefits of Power BI
- Embed reports into websites/ portals
- Boost user adoption and engagement
Lists in SharePoint
SharePoint lists offer a quick and easy approach for users to manage and store business information.
- Improves ease of use by enabling users to add columns to lists and sort, filter and group data in place
- Elevate data quality by viewing and editing all item details in the information panel without leaving the list
- Improve productivity by bulk editing list items
- Automate simple business processes
- Enrich static information with rich data types including people, images and managed meta data tags
As a leading SharePoint Solutions provider, we work with you to understand the unique aspects of your business processes to deliver solutions that are tailored to your requirements.
If there is one thing that we love more than coffee it is talking to you about a SharePoint Solutions Strategy that can benefit your business. Let’s combine the two.