SharePoint Q&A Overview
Fact: Prior to 2001 SharePoint was known as “Office Server” and “Tahoe”.
The goal of SharePoint was to create a simple, collaborative space that offered businesses both large and small the opportunity to build an internal portal that also provided search and document management.
Over the last few months we’ve discussed frequently asked questions about SharePoint and best practices to develop within your organisations SharePoint Environment.
To summarise we have highlighted our top Q&As from the series along with some additional questions.
What’s new in SharePoint?
SharePoint endeavours to continually update their platform allowing businesses to optimise on content collaboration, remote communication and document storage. Recently updated features include.
- The new hero web part that allows you to display up to five items of compelling content in order to optimise on effective communication.
- Increased speed in developing modern sites
- Easily share links and co-author content, reviewing page version history
- Custom search results
- Email notifications for comments and @mentions in Word
What is a Document Library and its benefits?
SharePoint’s Document Library refers to a secure, online environment where individuals can store files and easily access them at a later date from any device, location and time. A SharePoint Document Library has many functions including the ability to edit, delete, link and control who has access within the document library.
- Store and organise your documents
- Easily find and collaborate on documents
- Create workflows and set permissions
Why SharePoint Governance is important
Governance is an important aspect when building out your businesses intranet. Consider implementing the four steps below when implementing a successful Governance Strategy.
- Determine initial principles and goals – Identify your company’s service delivery requirements for technical and business aspects of your SharePoint Deployment.
- Classify your business information – Organise or create a custom taxonomy that includes all the information that supports your business.
- Develop and implement an education strategy - An education strategy enables your organisation to help teach and train colleagues in using SharePoint and what it has to offer.
- Develop an ongoing plan – Governance is an ongoing strategy therefore you must remember to continually review and plan.
How does SharePoint authentication work? – This refers to validation of a user’s identity against an authentication. SharePoint authentication helps protect the privacy of business documents in a secure and easy fashion.
How can I see who has access to a document/ file? There are two ways to view who has access to a specific SharePoint file. The first refers to using the three ellipsis and navigating down to manage users, here you can see which individuals and/or groups have access. An alternate way is by navigating to site permissions.
Investing in a SharePoint Solution for your business will allow you to;
- Streamline your document management system.
- Integrated with Office 365 and other Microsoft Tools for example Yammer feeds, lists of teams’ spaces and OneDrive documentation.
- It offers a flexible, scalable and customisable view.
- Easily collaborate and communicate with internal and/ or external employees.
What does SharePoint’s Patterns and Practices refer to?
SharePoint’s PnP refers to a community-driven open source initiative where both Microsoft and external members can share and discuss their learnings and best practices with a SharePoint environment.
Why Should I invest in a SharePoint Solutions Strategy for my business?
A SharePoint Solution Strategy offers businesses peace of mind in communicating, managing and storing business files anywhere, on any device and from any location.
- Simplify everyday business activities and processes
- Effortless Collaboration
- Cost Saving
- Increased Security and securing of sensitive business data
As a leading SharePoint Solutions provider, we work with you to understand the unique aspects of your business processes to deliver solutions that are tailored to your business requirements.
If there is one thing that we love more than coffee, it is talking to you about a SharePoint Solutions Strategy that is suited to your business.